Sunday, January 4, 2015

Well, Hello 2015...Give me whatcha got!

I have no desire to review the events of 2014 although many were good. Instead I will share the stuff of the last two weeks. One of the perks of laboring in public education is the holiday schedule, and Christmas holiday is nearly always two weeks. We hang on by our fingernails during the three weeks between Thanksgiving break and the beloved hiatus of December.  By the time it arrives, I have a mental list of books I want to read, tv shows I want to catch up on, recipes I want to try and the daily naps I plan to take. Christmas holidays of 2014 were different. I still had the lists of books and shows, etc., but I also knew this would be our first Christmas without Dad and our last Christmas with Mom.  It is the second Christmas we have not brought Billy home for our family celebration.  During these two weeks, I have not read a book (not even one!), I have caught up on one show, and I've tried no new recipes.  However, I have spent a great deal of time with my mom. 

I listed all the highlights and lowlights of several months in a previous post, so I won't belabor those. We had a nice Thanksgiving and Christmas. Both were rather low key, but we all felt good about them afterwards.  I spent a great deal of time with Mom, and I am so grateful for that. We have a good relationship, and God has granted me a calmness that allows us to discuss her upcoming death, what she wants and absolutely does not want in the way of a funeral, and so many other things that I never dreamed we would have an opportunity to discuss.   The first week of these two I was able to take Mom to radiation treatments meant to shrink her tumor and lessen her pain. The trips to Texas Oncology were near torture for Mom because of her pain. 

Early Friday morning after Christmas, I heard Mom calling me.  I found her face down on the bathroom tile where she had fallen.  I had checked on her a few hours earlier, and she was okay.  I couldn't get her up and called my brother in law to come help me.  We were not successful, so I called 911 - again.  She was admitted with a broken nose, severe dehydration and low blood count.  They pumped her with fluid and gave her some blood over the course of two days. During that time, Mom decided she would not have any more radiation, and she wanted to go home with hospice.  That has been the theme of this week. I was delighted to have Billy and Kathy Futrell here for one night last weekend. I am so grateful for their friendship and support. Billy and my brother in law helped move my bed, and we have the master bedroom set up with a hospital bed and all the equipment Mom needs. We've met with the nurse, had two visits from the aide who will help Mom three times weekly, heard from the social worker, and met with the chaplain. We've also arranged to have an aide come daily (not part of hospice), so that I can return to work for now. God has provided what we need, and I am so grateful for having the time to handle all the details. Mom misses Dad so much, and she is ready to be with him again and really ready to be with Jesus. 

While I cherish the time with my mom, I feel like I've missed out on some time with Billy. It's hard to catch him awake, so meal time is usually best.  I know I'll find ways to see him - it will just take some time. He seems to be stable as I've not seen any big declines recently.  I'm grateful for that. 

I look forward to all that 2015 holds and all that God does in our lives. Happy New Year to all!   

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! - 
Psalm 107:1


  1. Sorry to hear that the Christmas period did not go smoothly, to say the least... :(

    Hope you did manage to squeeze some relax time in there somewhere!

  2. For those people who's relative are Alzheimer’s Disease sufferer and maybe reading this, I find it hard that people are still ignorant of herbal medicine when it comes to treating Alzheimer’s Disease.
    I have been through many phases over the last couple of years since my father's diagnosis, he was 53 years old and had Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease and his diagnosis changed my life in many ways, I spend most of the time in denial and I keep thinking the tests were wrong. But deep down I knew they were correct. Though sharing his story is very difficult. He was always very successful in being able to accomplish anything he set his mind on doing. Alzheimer’s is a bitch of a disease. It began by robbing his recent memory, but it didn't stop there. It continues to steal, taking the most recent memories until it has pilfered all but the oldest memories, he experienced a decline in his ability to think, remember and make decisions. I feel a need to express my thoughts and feelings about how it affected his day to day living and how its deteriorated since despite the help of some wonderful medics and medicine.
    I remind myself how lucky to come across Charanjit rychtova's herbal medicine which is able to control this disease without any side effect, I felt a moment of relief hoping that he is free from this ailment, and nothing compares to the healing power of nature. Now I believe almost every health problem can be addressed in one natural way or another. The only thing I wanted was for him to feel better. I’m proud to say my Dad is Alzheimer’s free. You can also contact him for more info. at