Tuesday, November 8, 2011

National Alzheimer's Awareness Month

 
"...Alzheimer’s disease now stands as the only cause of death among the top 10 in the United States without a means to prevent, cure or even slow its progression."

Powerful statement.  True statement.  I attended a Caregivers Seminar last week with an expert in the field of dementia.  She addressed the gravity of an Alzheimer's diagnosis early in the session because she felt it had to be said, and she didn't want to end the day on that note.  Her words were that an Alzheimer's diagnosis is fatal. If a person does not die from another ailment, that person will die from Alzheimer's because the brain just quits on the body.  The lifespan after diagnosis is from 3-30 years, and those are not typically quality years. 

I apologize to those of you who read my Facebook posts as I repeat myself.   So many people are facing this disease, and not all of them are old and gray even though it's often referred to as the Gray Tsunami. Early or young onset is striking many people in their 40s and 50s, and tragically, it hits in the 30s for some.  Our speaker last week, said the youngest early onset patient she had worked with was 25. 

Be aware, and share your awareness with others.  Thanks to so many of you who read my blog, we raised over $1300 for research to end Alzheimer's Disease.  I will advocate with every opportunity because I don't want others to experience this loss. I'm posting a picture of Billy.  He still looks so young, and at 55, he should have so much ahead of him.  Actually, we should have so much ahead of us, but I don't allow myself to go there. Thank you for reading, praying, and remembering.  
Billy Knowles - Dallas Cowboys fan, Native Texan, Lover of Bluebell Ice Cream, Nicest Guy Alive, and victim of Young Onset Alzheimer's Disease.

1 comment:

  1. It is such a devastating illness. Thank you for being a voice for those who need to be heard, but can't express their thoughts anymore. May the Lord continue to bless you both.

    ReplyDelete